Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart - Bare root plug
The Bleeding Heart plant (Dicentra spectabilis) is a captivating perennial that graces gardens with its unique and striking appearance. Known for its heart-shaped flowers that seemingly "bleed" from the center, this plant has captured the hearts of garden enthusiasts for centuries. In this article, we will explore the characteristics, cultivation tips, and cultural significance of the Bleeding Heart plant.
The Bleeding Heart plant is renowned for its distinct and romantic appearance. Its delicate, pendulous flowers resemble hearts with a droplet-like protrusion at the base, creating the illusion of bleeding hearts. The flowers can be various shades of pink, red, or white, adding a touch of elegance to any garden. The finely-cut, fern-like foliage further enhances its overall grace.
How to grow Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart?
Growing Bleeding Heart requires some attention to specific cultivation tips to ensure its optimal development. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Location: Choose a partially shaded area for planting, as Bleeding Heart prefers protection from the harsh afternoon sun. This simulates its natural woodland habitat.
- Soil: Provide well-drained, rich soil that is slightly acidic. Organic matter, such as compost, can be incorporated into the soil to enhance its fertility.
- Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Mulching around the plant helps retain moisture and prevents weeds.
- Pruning: Trim faded flowers to encourage continuous blooming. After the foliage withers in late fall, cut the plant back to the ground to promote new growth in the following spring.
- Dividing: Bleeding Heart plants benefit from division every three to four years. This helps maintain their vigor and prevents overcrowding.
Beyond its visual appeal, the Bleeding Heart plant holds cultural significance in various traditions. Victorian flower language symbolizes undying love and compassion, making it a popular choice for romantic gardens. In Japanese culture, it is associated with the concept of "awareness," representing the ephemeral nature of life.
Buy Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart plants at Nance Plants.
The Bleeding Heart plant stands as a symbol of beauty, romance, and cultural significance. Its unique appearance and ease of cultivation make it a favorite among gardeners seeking to add a touch of charm to their outdoor spaces. Whether planted in a cottage garden or as a focal point in a shaded border, the Bleeding Heart plant continues to captivate and inspire those who encounter its graceful blooms.
- Pink, Red
- Ships As:
- Bare root plug
- Spring, Summer
- Full to Partial Shade
- Deer Resistant: