While poinsettias have strong ties to Christmas, it's essential to note that they are beautiful plants that can be enjoyed beyond the holiday season. With proper care, a poinsettia can last well into the winter months and even be encouraged to bloom again in the following year.
Can Poinsettias buy bought online and sent in the mail?
Yes, Nance Plants has Poinsettias for sale and packages them properly to ensure a safe delivery.
- Religious Symbolism: Some people associate the poinsettia with the Christmas story. According to a Mexican legend, a young girl named Pepita had no gift to present to the baby Jesus during a Christmas Eve celebration. As she walked to the church, she picked some roadside weeds, and upon entering the church, they transformed into beautiful red and green flowers—miraculously becoming poinsettias.
- Traditional Decoration: Poinsettias have been used as holiday decorations for many years. Their striking appearance adds a festive touch to homes, churches, and public spaces during Christmas.
- Cultural Significance: The association of poinsettias with Christmas has been further reinforced through cultural practices and traditions. Poinsettia plants are often exchanged as gifts during the holiday season and are widely used in Christmas floral arrangements.
Can Poinsettias be kept alive all year?
Yes, with proper care, poinsettias can be kept alive all year as houseplants. While they are often associated with the holiday season, poinsettias are perennial plants in their native habitat and can be maintained as attractive houseplants with the right conditions. Here are some tips to keep your poinsettia alive throughout the year:
Winter Symbolism: Poinsettias bloom in winter, symbolizing life and renewal when many plants are dormant. The burst of color from the poinsettia is a reminder of life amid the winter landscape.
1. When is the best time to buy Poinsettias?
A. Early December. Poinsettias are strongly associated with the Christmas season, and you'll find them readily available in nurseries, garden centers, and even grocery stores from late November through December. This is the peak time for purchasing poinsettias to use as festive decorations.
2. Will Poinsettias rebloom every year?
A. Reblooming a poinsettia each year can be challenging, but it's not impossible. Poinsettias are short-day plants, which means they require long, uninterrupted periods of darkness to initiate the process of forming flowers.